• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

AHH! My Back !

Monkeybizness

Bluelighter
ok my back hurts ALL THE TIME from my neck to my lower back .

i cant take the pain anymore it has gotten worse , my hand and legs get numb after a while of standing, my mid back hurts after a while of sitting, my neck hurts so bad at times i get headaches from the pain ... i feel so tense all the time

im planing on going to the doctor in a few weeks , but in the mean time i was wondering if i can get any tips on stretching exercises, yoga, whatever!!! proper posture when i sit ? all i find online are some crappy videos i need to relieve this pain
its driving me insane im expecting the worse when i see the doctor! i also feel as if my back is not straight, when i stand up straight i have noticed one shoulder is lower then the other and it just hurts :X :(

help!!

You should see a chiropractor.. Or your physician. Maybe go to a massage parlor, but I'd first ask your doc if that's a good idea.

In the mean time try not to put any stress in those areas.

If the pain is as bad as you say, make an appointment for next week (or sooner if you can get in Fri/Sat) to see your primary care provider. See what they say and take it from there.

Giving you stretching exercises to do may make the problem worse, but I'd feel bad closing this, so take people's advice with a grain of salt and go see your doctor.

Oh, and keep us updated as to what the doctor says.

A question for you: Are you under a lot of stress? I ask because one cause of back pain is stress. Some people carry their stress in their back. They get stressed and then go around all day with a lot of tension in their back and neck muscles. Sometimes the lower back gets tense. Sometimes it's the neck or even the shoulders. Wherever it is, doing this day after day without recognizing the tension can build up.

Obesity can also cause back pain. If you are over weight, that could be why. Strengthen the back muscles and lose weight.

You already mentioned it, but proper posture when you sit, when you're at your computer, and when you walk or stand can cause it too. A couple of ways to correct this are 1) start an exercise routine that targets and strengthens that chain of muscles in your back. Yoga, especially core and back strengthening forms, might be a good idea. 2) Pay attention to posture.

The wrong mattress could also be the cause. You might try sleeping on the floor (on a sleeping pad or some kind of foam pad a few inches thick) for a few days.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I've found the chiropractor to be extremely beneficial for my back issues ( L5-S1 disc 10mm by 15mm extruded, resting right up next to some nerve roots, and arthritis in that area too ) and they can actually write you the prescription you need for an MRI --- if it's your whole back it might be the best option, I feel like chiropractor's are a good, cheaper alternative to even go about getting these medical tests.

However, going to a primary care doc also isn't a terrible idea, I know I do that if I retear the disc and have another episode because going through it without opiates + muscle relaxers is usually beyond unpleasant.